WritingEndeavors
WritingEndeavors
WritingEndeavors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WritingEndeavors

The #1 Writing Group on the web!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Letters To Rome, Part 5

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Boli Shagnasty
Admin
Boli Shagnasty

Letters To Rome, Part 5 Empty
PostSubject: Letters To Rome, Part 5   Letters To Rome, Part 5 EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 1:48 am

Marcellus, my Son,

If what your Mother tells me is true, which I have no reason to doubt, then I want you to know that I am highly displeased with you. She has told me that you and your friends have ganged up on a smaller, weaker boy.

My Son, why did you do this? Can you explain it to me? Can you tell me why it was necessary to terrorize that boy in that manner?

I can answer those questions for you. The answer is no, you can not explain and no, you can not tell me why it was necessary. All you could possibly do is offer excuses. I will not accept your excuses. It is a father's job to raise his son to know the difference between
right and wrong. You are not a stupid boy. I believe you knew that what you were doing was wrong. Why then, did you do it?

I believe you did it because of peer pressure. You were with your friends. One or more of them started picking on the boy and you went along, either because you were afraid not to, or because you wanted to fit in with the group. I might be wrong about this but I too, was young once. I know how these things happen.

Son, it is time for you to grow up some. I do not expect you to be a perfect child. I know you will make mistakes along the way. Everyone does. But you will soon be 13 years old. It is time for you to begin developing yourself into the man you will become. It is time for you to start standing up for yourself and for others, like that boy. If your friends are going to do something and you know it is wrong, then stand up and tell them no. Tell them you will have no part of what they are doing. You may lose their friendship, but you will gain respect from your Father and Mother. And after what you have done, pleasing us should
be your top priority right now.

Or perhaps that sort of thing is not important to you anymore. Perhaps you have started to think you don't have to obey us. Perhaps you have started to think of yourself as a real tough guy. Well, tough guy, the next time I see you, I am perfectly prepared to teach you just exactly how tough you are.

What do you want out of life, Marcellus? Do you know? Have you even thought about it? I do not care what you become, just so long as it is something good and useful. You have said you want to be a soldier like me. If you do, that is fine. I will be proud. But you have a lot of growing and learning to do before then. You may change your mind and decide to be something else. A Doctor, or Architect or Scientist. You can become anything you want to be. But I want you to realize that, whatever you become, you are still a man. Certain duties and obligations are inherent in the title of . . . Man.

Anyone can be a criminal dirtbag, a drunk, a wife beater, a druggie. Anyone can do it. It takes no special skills, no special qualities, no special brains or courage. Any stupid, low life punk can do it.

But to be a real man, a man who does good with his life, a man who takes care of others, a man that other people respect, that does take some special skills and qualities, some special intelligence and courage.

Now, tell me, what kind of man do you want to be?

I said before that it is a Father's job to teach his son right from wrong. But it is also a Father's job to teach his son how to follow the right paths in life. I have tried to do this with you. I believe I have succeeded thus far. I know that you are a good boy. But there is
still much I have to teach you, much you have to learn. Toward that end I have written a letter to your Mother detailing some specific instructions for you to follow to make up for what you have done. You will follow these instructions to the letter. And I hope that while
you are doing it, you will think about what I am trying to teach you.

I do love you, my Son, and I cannot wait to see you again.

Dad
Back to top Go down
Barbi

PostSubject: Re: Letters To Rome, Part 5   Letters To Rome, Part 5 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 12:24 pm

I don't think many have considered child rearing, punishments of misdeeds etc during biblical times. I really like how you incorporate it into these stories. Kids couldn't have been perfect parent minding angels back then. They had to do something some time to disobey parental rules. . Of course using modern language just makes it more interesting and gets point across. I don't think dirtbag would be a word used back then, LOL. Or do we really know. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ann
Admin
Ann

PostSubject: Re: Letters To Rome, Part 5   Letters To Rome, Part 5 EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 5:43 am

I agree with Barb. One doesn't consider childrearing punishment during biblical times. This part kinda reminds me of the 50s and early 60s and the words 'wait till you father gets home' Yikes!
Back to top Go down
sarianna

PostSubject: Re: Letters To Rome, Part 5   Letters To Rome, Part 5 EmptyFri May 09, 2014 9:18 am

I, too, never considered child punishment during biblical times. Wonder if fathers or mothers were the chief punisher. Surely, like today, mothers were ones with the children more so which one dished out more punishment. In the stories you see on television depicting those times you see the children with mom in the market area and gardens tending to food gathering. I always had an image like one Ann mentioned, wait till your father gets home. lol But were fathers actually a big part of child rearing before a son came of age to begin self defense methods (warring). Did fathers barter for their daughters future husband. I think I prefer Marcus punishment than any other, father being an integral part of the children's growth and moral value lessons. He appears to be highly concerned about moral values and I like that. Smile

Sorry about not being here on this story sooner. One day my head will get back to normal and I hope to be here more often, if not I'll leave the group. Not fair to you and Ann and what you share if I am a slacker.
Back to top Go down
Bev86

PostSubject: Re: Letters To Rome, Part 5   Letters To Rome, Part 5 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 4:21 pm

I think I am in awe of all these letters. What a fabulous idea for a novel!! I'm wanting more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Letters To Rome, Part 5   Letters To Rome, Part 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Letters To Rome, Part 5
Page 1 of 1