WritingEndeavors
WritingEndeavors
WritingEndeavors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WritingEndeavors

The #1 Writing Group on the web!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Letters To Rome 2

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Boli Shagnasty
Admin
Boli Shagnasty

Letters To Rome 2 Empty
PostSubject: Letters To Rome 2   Letters To Rome 2 EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 10:48 am

Darling Julia,

I send you and the kids my love and affection. I miss you. I yearn for your tender touch. And I long for the laughter and smiles of the children. All these are the most important things in my life. Your letters to me are a breath of spring, no matter what the season.. Reading them is almost like getting to hold you. They are like a treasure and I am carefully storing them away to keep for all my life. When the time comes that we are old and gray, we can read them and remember how the fire in our hearts burned for each other.

Another day has passed and it was boring as always. And yet it seems that some event of interest, however small, happens here quite often. There was a disturbance in the Jews temple the other day. I was not a witness to this but do you remember the stranger I told you about that convinced the fishermen to go out again? Well, apparently, he was in the temple when a young man came in raving and screaming, running into walls, banging his head, and generally just trying to do himself harm. From what I have learned this young man has been afflicted with this terrible malady for many years.

This stranger allegedly approached the young man and rebuked him severely. At his words, the young man fell to the ground, unconscious, and laid there for several minutes. When he awoke, there was no sign of the terrible affliction that had tormented him for so long. He awoke and smiled. He and his Father embraced and both gave thanks to their God for healing the boy. And in the days since, there has been no recurrence of his former behavior. The locals say the stranger had cast out a demon from the boy. Now, I don't know anything about that sort of thing, but this stranger is beginning to become quite popular here in Capernaum.

Do you remember Metellus Lucius? He was my Centurion when we were in Gaul. Well, I saw him the other day. He was passing through on his way to the coast. He is catching a boat back to Rome. We had a drink together and just talked over old times. He told me there is no other country like this in the world and he is glad to be leaving it. He says weird things happen here and the people are all mad in one form or another. He told me a story of a wild man they had just arrested who lived out in the wilds and only ate locusts and honey. This wild man harmed no one, but he went around dunking people in water, telling them to repent. The reason he got arrested was for talking about a new kingdom that was to come, but also because he apparently called out Herod and his wife by name, telling them they were sinners. Bad politics for a common man to jab the King's conscience, although from what I hear, I am not sure Herod has a conscience.

Strange . . . I remember my Dad and Uncle Claudius talking about the first Herod when they served here thirty years ago. Dad thought the first Herod was the scum of the earth. During his time there was some sort of star that the stargazers said meant the birth of a new King. Apparently, that star was also visible in daytime for several days and Herod was worried about it. The star was centered over some little village to the south of Jerusalem so Herod sent his soldiers there to kill all the newborn babies, thus making sure there would be no new Kings. Dad said that any man who would kill babies was not a man, much less a King. He despised Herod from that moment on.

I will say that the people are strange, unlike any people I have net anywhere else. Religion seems to be the driving force here among these people. That is all right. They can believe whatever they want to as long as they realize that we are in charge. The problem is that we seem to be no more than an annoyance to their thinking that their God is in charge.

Anyway, I must close now. The Commander is coming for an inspection tomorrow and there is still much to do. As always, you are ever in my thoughts. Tell my children their Daddy says good night.
Much Love, Marcus
Back to top Go down
sarianna

Letters To Rome 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Letters To Rome 2   Letters To Rome 2 EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 1:41 pm

I wonder if that 'wild man' was one of the Jesus followers or apostle. Incredible chapter of this novel. I'm finding my interest in it growing hugely.
Back to top Go down
Boli Shagnasty
Admin
Boli Shagnasty

Letters To Rome 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Letters To Rome 2   Letters To Rome 2 EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 9:36 pm

Dear Sari,

I will tell you the man's first name is John. lol

Glad you are interested. That is what it is all for.

Thank you
Back to top Go down
Barbi

Letters To Rome 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Letters To Rome 2   Letters To Rome 2 EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 8:33 am

I felt a sense of yearning for knowledge in Marcus even as he also kept his Roman soldier training as his first priority. He is on a mission and its that mission he wants to complete. Still has a romantic angle to this also. I really like it.
Back to top Go down
Boli Shagnasty
Admin
Boli Shagnasty

Letters To Rome 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Letters To Rome 2   Letters To Rome 2 EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 2:27 am

Dear Barb,

Yes, Marcus is a thoroughly professional soldier. He is a Roman. He serves the Emperor and Empire and for him, at this point in his life, there is no higher calling. Whatever mission he is given, he will accomplish or die trying.

The other thing about professional soldiers is that they are always trying to better themselves, always trying to learn something new. In Marcus case, he wants to learn about the people of the land he is now in.

As for the romance part, I invite you and any other Ladies of this group to send me letters written in the character of Julia, in answer to Marcus letters. I do not promise to use what you write but if I do and this ever gets published, I will give you credit.

I am glad you are enjoying this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Letters To Rome 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Letters To Rome 2   Letters To Rome 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Letters To Rome 2
Page 1 of 1