WritingEndeavors
WritingEndeavors
WritingEndeavors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WritingEndeavors

The #1 Writing Group on the web!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

God's Garden

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Passion

God's Garden Empty
PostSubject: God's Garden   God's Garden EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 11:06 am

During the time of the George Zimmerman trial- I couldn't help but think of something I had learned from years ago when I was just a child.  It was a beautiful lesson I learned- I truly wish others had been taught this as well...

Many years ago, there was a young little girl whom was living with her grandparents in a small little town, where everyone knew everyone else- a sheltered community of sorts.  On this child's sixth birthday, her grandmother took her to the big city of Cleveland to go to the art museum and also to go see the movie the child had been wanting to see, "Lady and the Tramp."  The trip to the big city was her birthday present as the child had never been anywhere else other than in the little community where she lived.
Her grandmother parked her car in an underground parking lot that day and then hailed a taxi cab out on the street.  When the child and her grandmother got into the cab, the child instantly noticed the driver- he was the color of burnt toast.  The child became concerned because she thought he had been severely burned and whether he was in pain or not.   She looked at her grandma with horror in eyes, "is he in pain grandma?" she asked in an almost whispered voice.
Grandma answered, "I don't think so honey, why do you ask?"
"Because he looks like he was burned very badly!  Was he in a bad accident?" the child replied with her heart hurting in sympathy while trying to figure out how he could work if he was hurt this badly.
By this time, the driver had listened in to the conversation and the child noticed he was  looking back at her in the rear-view mirror.  His eyes were just as dark as his skin.   That worried her even more because she thought his eyes had also been burned.
Her grandmother smiled as she hugged her grand daughter.  "No honey, I don't think he was burned as he's a part of God's garden."
The child looked at her with a puzzled expression on her face, while her grandmother explained further.  "You know how there are many colors the artists use to create their beautiful paintings, just like the ones we're going to see?  Also, you know how much you like flowers, they're all different in color and fragrance.   God created them like this and He made them this way so that we could enjoy each of them as much as He does.  God is an artist and a wonderful creator because he made his people in an array of colors, much like the flowers you enjoy.  Just imagine, how much of a dull world it would be if everyone was just as white as we are, or how each and every flower was the same color.  God loves variety, and He loves color.  This is His gift to us, His children."
When the driver of the cab arrived at the art museum and the grandmother had the money in her hand to pay him, he looked back at her with a tear in his eye.  "Ma'am, no need to pay me- I wish there were as many other people like you who could explain just as beautifully, the differences in race as you have.  Thank you for helping this child to see us in a different light.  God bless you always."
This child from long ago is me.  I have tried to explain to my own children ever since they were young enough to comprehend, in the same way as my grandmother did.  Up until the point of going to the big city when I was young, I had never seen a person of color.  Through the years, I've had to learn all of the labels of course, the classifications, white, caucasion, black, hispanic, etc...  But, they're only labels and not who we truly are- a part of God's garden.
By the way, my grandmother's and my conversation went further that day.  She told me, everyone is the same and same color on the inside.  We all bleed the same color and our spirits are the same color, just that some shine brighter than others, much like the stars in the sky at night.  I've often wondered about this old gentleman who made a huge impression on me when I was little- I bet, by now, he's one of the brightest stars that shine down upon me at night. -Passion
Back to top Go down
Ann
Admin
Ann

God's Garden Empty
PostSubject: Re: God's Garden   God's Garden EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 6:32 pm

I agree with what she said. Good essay. I'm no GZ hater and didn't see the shooting as racial.
Back to top Go down
Passion

God's Garden Empty
PostSubject: Re: God's Garden   God's Garden EmptyWed Sep 11, 2013 4:38 pm

Thank you my friend for your comment- I'm not a GZ hater, and I'm not a GZ lover either. I felt so sorry for the mother of the victim in this tho', then when CNN was trying to portray it as a racial crime, the incident from when I was a child came to my mind. I felt it was something I needed to record, so I wrote about it. (-:
Back to top Go down
sarianna

God's Garden Empty
PostSubject: Re: God's Garden   God's Garden EmptySat Jan 25, 2014 12:27 pm

Hello Passion. Long time since I read anything you wrote. Very cool essay!!  bounce 
Back to top Go down
Boli Shagnasty
Admin
Boli Shagnasty

God's Garden Empty
PostSubject: Re: God's Garden   God's Garden EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 11:04 pm

Dear pash,

What a great story. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I am sad to say the teaching I got as a child about people of color was quite different. However, the good thing is all that garbage did not stick to me very long.

I work now with the Children's Ministry at our church, (mostly as the one who keeps them in line) but occasionally I am called on to teach a class. Would you mind if I used this story? I think it would be a great one for kids to hear.
Back to top Go down
Passion

God's Garden Empty
PostSubject: Re: God's Garden   God's Garden EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 6:47 pm

OMG! You have no idea of how tickled I am to see you, Boli, and Sarianna here- it's been way too long! I pray you both are well...

Yes, of course Boli, you may use this little story- it is one that I think should be shared.  flower sunny 
Back to top Go down
Boli Shagnasty
Admin
Boli Shagnasty

God's Garden Empty
PostSubject: Re: God's Garden   God's Garden EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 11:58 pm

I did use it last night. I had to teach the 4th, 5th, and 6th grade boys class of eight, three of whom were Hispanic. They found the fact that I grew up in a segregated society where towns were divided and there were "their" schools and white schools and they did not ever mix, hard to understand and they did not like the idea.
At the end of class I asked each one in turn what they had learned. Each came up with a good answer except one little hispanic boy. I dismissed the others and called him over to me. We talked for a while and then I told him that I had made a friend in Junior High by the name of Manuel Hernandez and that now, more than 50 years later, Manuel and I were still friends. He smiled and said, "That's cool." I could tell then that he was ok with things so I let him go. lol
Back to top Go down
Passion

God's Garden Empty
PostSubject: Re: God's Garden   God's Garden EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 6:08 pm

Awesome!!!!!! You know Boli- if we can change the younger generations way of thinking- it's inconceivable of the notions of what can be accomplished! It takes, planting the seed...... Thank you for wanting to use this little story- it's a beginning, I do believe, and please use it anytime you wish or need to....
Back to top Go down
Passion

God's Garden Empty
PostSubject: Re: God's Garden   God's Garden EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 6:19 pm

Dear Sari- thank you hon for reading this- I write from my heart and from past experiences. I truly think good stories or essays comes from what the heart is trying to portray.... Be blessed my friend.....
Back to top Go down
Barbi

God's Garden Empty
PostSubject: Re: God's Garden   God's Garden EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 8:49 am

Great story and lesson on how by understanding and sympathizing with others we can see and understand ourselves.
Back to top Go down
Passion

God's Garden Empty
PostSubject: Re: God's Garden   God's Garden EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 9:20 pm

Thank you Barb for taking the time in reading what I wrote. To me, it's an important lesson for everyone to learn- whether, young or old... I look forward to interacting with you.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

God's Garden Empty
PostSubject: Re: God's Garden   God's Garden Empty

Back to top Go down

God's Garden
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WritingEndeavors :: Let's Write! :: Essays & Journals-
Jump to: