WritingEndeavors
WritingEndeavors
WritingEndeavors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WritingEndeavors

The #1 Writing Group on the web!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Letters to Rome 3

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Boli Shagnasty
Admin
Boli Shagnasty

Letters to Rome 3 Empty
PostSubject: Letters to Rome 3   Letters to Rome 3 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 8:32 pm

My Fair Julia,

I hope this letter reaches you in time. You will, of course, be shocked, but also surprised and delighted, I hope, to see that I did remember our anniversary this time. Why this year is different, I don't know but after the times I have forgotten before, I hope you will take this as a sign of my deep and undying love for you.

How are you? Do you miss me as much as I miss you? But no, you could not possibly. I live only for the day that we may be together again. How are the kids? Tell Marcellus to keep up with his studies. Tell him the true test of the warrior is not the strength of his arm, but the strength of his mind. Tell Livia that she also must learn so she can grow to be a great and beautiful Lady. If she learns from you, my Dear, she will become just that.

There is nothing of major importance to tell you. All has been quiet and boring in this land for the most part. We have had no incidents with the Zealots here although I hear they are somewhat active around Jerusalem. You remember that I wrote about King Herod in my last letter? Well, he has proven himself to be just like his Father was.

Apparently they were having a birthday party for him at the palace and Herod was very drunk. He made a promise to his wife's daughter that if she danced for him, he would give her whatever she asked for, even if it was half his kingdom. Well, she did dance for him and when it was over, guess what she asked for. She asked for the head of a prisoner. She got it, too.

Isn't that strange? I would think a young and pretty woman could think of better things to ask for than the head of a crazy wild man who went about throwing water on people. I don't know. There must be something else behind all that but I certainly don't know what it could be. Still, for her to do something like that should give you an idea of just how terrible the whole family is.

I have told you before just how standoffish these Jews are toward us. Many of them think that their homes will be defiled if a Roman enters it. They are a strange people. However, last week the daughter of one of the wealthier Jews was getting married in a town called, Cana, not far from here, and because they expected a large crowd they decided to hold the wedding outside.

We had caught a couple of thieves trying to break into the Bride's Father's store, so he tracked me down and invited us to the wedding. Needless to say, I didn't understand a word of it and the point of some of the things they did escapes me, but still it was a very nice ceremony.

Remember the man I told you about before that helped the fishermen and cured the boy of that terrible affliction? Well, I got my first good look at him at the wedding. He sat across the garden from me and we did not meet, but I found myself staring at him. I guess he must have sensed that someone was looking at him because he suddenly turned and looked directly at me. We just stared at each other a minute and then he gave me a slight smile and nodded his head. I returned his greeting and then we both looked away.

For some odd reason, I found myself looking back at him, time after time. I don't know why, but I felt sort of . . . drawn to him. As if he was someone I wanted to know. I hope that makes sense to you. I can't really explain it any better than that. It was most peculiar.

One other odd thing happened at the wedding. Do you remember how, at our wedding, your Father served the best wine first, and then after everyone had drunk a lot he served that terrible second rate stuff? Well, everyone was drinking quite a bit. (You will be glad to hear that I only had two cups.) But then came the news that the wine was all gone. Some of the guests were beginning to become upset about that. Then, all of a sudden, the servants came in bearing new barrels of wine. I don't know if this is a Jewish custom or not but that second batch of wine was much, much better than what we had before. It is impossible to describe the taste but I have never tasted anything quite like it.

As I read over what I have written I have to laugh. Very exciting stuff isn't it? I am sorry. I wish I could write something to entertain you more, but nothing very entertaining happens here. Most of the time we are all just bored to death and want nothing more than to come home. But I guess we are needed here to keep everyone there safe. Such is the stuff of empires.

I love you, my wife. I miss you. There is not a minute that passes that you do not cross my mind.

Happy Anniversary, Marcus
Back to top Go down
Ann
Admin
Ann

Letters to Rome 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Letters to Rome 3   Letters to Rome 3 EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 8:37 am

I smiled when I read this part. I think if the wedding guest had not been so self indulgent and drank wine like water then the barrels would not have gone empty. lol But out of love for the host and family Jesus refilled the barrels. He did that because love was what he knew and what he taught. Love and forgiveness and respect of ones fellow man no matter their belief...
Back to top Go down
sarianna

Letters to Rome 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Letters to Rome 3   Letters to Rome 3 EmptyFri Mar 07, 2014 11:39 am

I would think a young and pretty woman could think of better things to ask for than the head of a crazy wild man who went about throwing water on people. I don't know. There must be something else behind all that but I certainly don't know what it could be. Still, for her to do something like that should give you an idea of just how terrible the whole family is.

I wonder about that too. LOL Seems she wanted something from him that he wasn't willing to give so revenge of an evil woman scorned.
Back to top Go down
Barbi

Letters to Rome 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Letters to Rome 3   Letters to Rome 3 EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 8:36 am

The yearning in Marcus is growing. Seeing Jesus as he did and staring into his eyes from afar gave him more emotions than he yet realizes. I am anxious to read more of this. Yes, there is that romantic angle in this part too.
Back to top Go down
Boli Shagnasty
Admin
Boli Shagnasty

Letters to Rome 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Letters to Rome 3   Letters to Rome 3 EmptySat Apr 05, 2014 2:22 pm

Dear Ann,

Back when I was a drinking man, I always enjoyed those weddings where there was a free bar. And I thought it only my solemn duty to help said bar justify its existence, for the happiness of the wedding couple, you understand.

Thanks for reading and commenting.
Back to top Go down
Boli Shagnasty
Admin
Boli Shagnasty

Letters to Rome 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Letters to Rome 3   Letters to Rome 3 EmptySat Apr 05, 2014 2:24 pm

Dear Sari,

It is strange isn't it? Perhaps her Mother held something very powerful on her that could sway her to do what she did. I don't know but if I was in her place I could think of many things better to ask for that a man's head. lol

Back to top Go down
Boli Shagnasty
Admin
Boli Shagnasty

Letters to Rome 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Letters to Rome 3   Letters to Rome 3 EmptySat Apr 05, 2014 2:31 pm

Dear Barb,

Glad you like the romantic angle. There will always be a touch of that as this is a man writing to a woman he loves.

Isn't is strange how some people just catch one's interest more than others, whether you meet them or not? This is the case with Marcus and Jesus. I think, at this point, that Marcus has a mild interest in the man but would be just as happy in his life if they never met. Whether things remain that way or not remains to be seen.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Letters to Rome 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Letters to Rome 3   Letters to Rome 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Letters to Rome 3
Page 1 of 1