WritingEndeavors
WritingEndeavors
WritingEndeavors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WritingEndeavors

The #1 Writing Group on the web!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

To Err Is Human

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Boli Shagnasty
Admin
Boli Shagnasty

To Err Is Human Empty
PostSubject: To Err Is Human   To Err Is Human EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 3:19 pm

Preramble:

I do not have a blog. I would not even begin to know how to get a blog. I don't want a blog. But occasionally I write things like what follows here. If I had a blog, I guess that is where this should go. But . . . no blog, So, Writing Endeavors, prepare yourselves because here it comes.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"To err is human, to forgive, divine."

An old saying that I have heard all my life. And I believe it is true, but only to an

extent.

Sorry . . . sorry . . . sorry . . . sorry . . . sorry . . .

I am so sick of seeing this word. I am so sick of seeing the headlines where someone says they are sorry for something they said. Someone opens their big mouths and then the next day they are sorry. I always wonder what they are sorry for. Are they sorry because they hurt someone? Or are they sorry because they demonstrated to the world just how stupid they are? Are they sorry because they caused grief or pain? Or are they sorry just because they made some people angry? Are they sorry because they tore into a cherished idea or institution? Or
are they sorry because the truth about themselves was put on display for all to see?

I am, I suppose, as guilty as anyone else. Unfortunately I can think of several occasions in my life where I have shot off my big mouth. And, sooner or later, I was sorry for it for all the reasons listed above. But the difference is that when I shoot off my big mouth, it does not make the nightly news. There are no film clips or sound bytes. Not even the local paper publishes the fact.

The most recent episode of this kind of thing was the comments by the defensive back of the Seahawks. They had just won the NFC Championship and the guy started ranting about what a loser his opponent was and how great he himself was. On the Facebook page of a friend, I stated thet he was just another loudmouth jock and they are a dime a dozen. I further stated that until he learned to conduct himself as a man, with dignity, honor and self respect, that no matter how good a football player he is, he will always be a loser.

A number of people agreed with me and a number of people did not agree. And that if fine, but the point of this is that I will stand by what I said. Tomorrow, I will not be saying sorry I said that. And, even if that person walked right up to me I would still stand by what I said. I might be sorry that he did not like it, but that is his problem to deal with.

Just for once, I would like to see someone famous stand by what they say. If you can't stand by it, then don't open your mouth. If you are going to be sorry tomorrow, keep your mouth shut.

I once made the statement that I did not like tattoos on women, that they were not attractive and in fact, detracted from a woman's beauty. I took a lot of heat for that statement, even from female friends. I stated a personal opinion and it was not stated to hurt anyone, but apparently it did cause some hurt feelings. I am sorry for that but again, it is something they have to deal with because my opinion remains the same and I will stand by it.

It is time for people to start standing for something. It seems to me that most people are rag dolls who either don't stand for anything or just don't know what they stand for. There is a line from a old John Mellencamp song that says, "You got to stand for something, or you're gonna fall for anything." There is truth in this.
After all, look at B Hussain Obama

Anyone who has seen my Facebook page knows that I have some strong opinions about the individual who currently sits in the White House and about the government as a whole. I have made some very strong statements and I stand by those statements. I stand by those statements because I have read and studied, and looked and seen what is going on and I believe my statements to be the truth. And if you can't stand for what you believe is the truth, then what does that say about the kind of person you are?

And just for the record, I also believe that Jesus is the Son of God, that he came into the world to forgive sin, that he was crucified, and that he rose from the dead. I stand by that.

So, now it is your turn. Go ahead and fire. Blast away at me and what I have said here. But tomorrow, do not expect me to say sorry.
Back to top Go down
sarianna

To Err Is Human Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Err Is Human   To Err Is Human EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 10:41 am

Hello Boli, it has been forever since we communicated. I've had a horrible headache last couple days. I will read and comment when I feel better.
Back to top Go down
Boli Shagnasty
Admin
Boli Shagnasty

To Err Is Human Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Err Is Human   To Err Is Human EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 10:53 pm

Hello Sari,

It has been a few days. lol I hope you are feeling better soon.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

To Err Is Human Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Err Is Human   To Err Is Human EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 9:58 am

You named this accurately. To Err is really human. I liked your essay. I see nothing to attack in it. We all have beliefs and ideals and stand behind those. That is as it should be... When I say I am sorry it is truly because I mean it.
Back to top Go down
https://writingendeavors.forumotion.com
sarianna

To Err Is Human Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Err Is Human   To Err Is Human EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 10:49 am

Boli,

I'm curious about why you should feel saying I'm sorry is a reason for someone to attack. The idea of saying it is to mean it and not say it just because it seems appropriate. I don't apologize for my opinions. We each have them and that is our right. To disagree with others is normal. Take the man in office you mentioned. I don't hate him. I don't like or trust him though. I don't agree with all his ideas or what he says but I don't disagree with them all either. I enjoyed your essay and find it an interesting concept.

Thank you for being patient about me waiting to read and comment. I tried to sign in yesterday to comment but site didn't want to accept my password. Sad And again today I had a problem. I had to get Ann to help me deal with it. Those headaches were horrible and gave me a couple days of UGG but not being able to sign in was the pitts! lol
Back to top Go down
Passion

To Err Is Human Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Err Is Human   To Err Is Human EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 7:22 pm

Fascinating essay Boli! If people could learn to think before they spoke or acted upon things, there wouldn't be any reason for anyone to feel sorry about anything at all. Yes, we are all human beings, full of flaws and also full of emotions. Just think tho', how dull this world would be if everyone did take the time to analyze their thoughts and actions...  Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
Boli Shagnasty
Admin
Boli Shagnasty

To Err Is Human Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Err Is Human   To Err Is Human EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 12:00 am

Dear Admin,

Thank you. I appreciate your kind words.
Back to top Go down
Boli Shagnasty
Admin
Boli Shagnasty

To Err Is Human Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Err Is Human   To Err Is Human EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 12:35 am

Dear Sari,

All I am saying is that if one is a famous person, what you have said is out there for the whole world to see, and that saying "I'm sorry" often doesn't really mean anything.

I believe in apologies. If I say something to hurt you, then I will apologize to you because the last thing in the world I want to do is hurt you. But that is between you and me. I am not famous and the world is not going to hear about it.

But a famous person automatically opens themselves to judgement by large numbers of people, and even if he or she apologizes, there will be a number of those people who will either not accept it, or not believe it.

Madonna recently used the "N" word in connection with her son. She apologized the next day and there are lots of people who will forgive her and forget. But there is probably an equally large number of people who are thinking, "No. It's too late. You just showed us all we need to know."

I am not saying that either side is right or wrong. I am saying that being judgemental is a part of the human condition and perhaps that is why the Bible says, "Judge not, lest ye be judged."

But it seems to me that a lot of famous people are more wiggly than wet noodles. If one takes a stand on an issue, for example, pro gun control, and stands by it, I can respect that. I will think they are an idiot who doesn't know the real world but I can respect their stand. But tomorrow if they say, "Sorry, I said that," then I have no use for them, even if they are now agreeing with my personal views.

I like people who are solid and dependable and know what they think. People who are not going to be moved by any little change in the wind or bit of public pressure. I like people who are open-minded and open to change, but such people do not change overnight, just because someone else didn't like what they said.

I am glad you are feeling better. Thanks for reading and commenting.
Back to top Go down
Boli Shagnasty
Admin
Boli Shagnasty

To Err Is Human Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Err Is Human   To Err Is Human EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 12:42 am

Dear Pash,

I think we probably will never have to worry about this "dull" world you speak of. lol

Except when I am extremely angry I try to take a minute and think before I speak, but no matter how careful I try to be, I always seem to find new ways to stick my big foot in my mouth.

Thank you for reading and commenting.
Back to top Go down
Passion

To Err Is Human Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Err Is Human   To Err Is Human EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 5:38 pm

Dear Boli- My, "err to human is," when I get drunk!!!!  lol!  Yes- Pash does this from time to time!! (Got too, or other-wise lose my sanity.) It is then- I fall- big-time- in letting my mouth over-run my rear!! *chuckle* We all are human- I do say I'm sorry when required and mean it- my heart wouldn't let me live other-wise....

My pet peeve tho' is- those who say they're sorry and don't mean it, but, then again, that is their nature....... I guess in the long run- we all just need to accept each other for any flaws we carry and go on...... that is their nature- as our own nature is our own....

Sorry if this does or doesn't make sense- I'm very tired, been on a constant, "take care of everyone else but me," mode- the Father-in-law has been added into the mix..... One day...... some day..... I'll be able to just take care of myself and live my life for me!'

Keep posting my friend, it's such a joy to hear from you!!

Back to top Go down
Barbi

To Err Is Human Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Err Is Human   To Err Is Human EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 8:55 am

Boli, I have many times said I'm sorry when I didn't really feel completely sorry. I felt sorry I hurt others and hoped I could improve and learn to think first but deep down I didn't feel real sorrow for what I did or said. Although there were times when I wasn't sorry for hurting someone's feelings.
Back to top Go down
Boli Shagnasty
Admin
Boli Shagnasty

To Err Is Human Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Err Is Human   To Err Is Human EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 2:02 am

You are such a mean woman, Barb. lol

I have said on several occasions, "I am sorry if I hurt your feelings but that is just the way it is." On some of those occasions I meant it, but on others I didn't. It all depends on several factors, time person, circumstances, etc.

I am glad to see you back in the group.
Back to top Go down
Barbi

To Err Is Human Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Err Is Human   To Err Is Human EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 11:15 am

Yeah the person is my thing too.  Smile 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

To Err Is Human Empty
PostSubject: Re: To Err Is Human   To Err Is Human Empty

Back to top Go down

To Err Is Human
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WritingEndeavors :: Let's Write! :: Essays & Journals-
Jump to: